Welcome to Cookie Saver! Here's everything you need to know to get started in a breeze.
This quick start guide will show you how to have Cookie Saver running smoothly on your website - it is easier than it looks. Don´t hesitate to contact us if you encounter any problem.
Cookie Saver is a service that transforms your 3rd party cookies into persistent 1st party cookies through Alias cloaking. This is a new solution we pioneered to adapt to the latest ITP 2.3 update that mitigates CNAME cloaking.
Let´s get started!
Knowing the number of your Safari audience is important for you to assess the impact of ITP but also to choose a suitable Cookie Saver plan.
Next, you will learn to install Cookie Saver.
- Sign up
- Add NS records to your host provider
In this first part, you should sign up to the service and create a setup. Instructions on the setup creation can be found in this setup guide.
You can do the following upfront:
- Choose a subdomain(s) name. As part of the setup creation, you will be asked to create a subdomain or more that will be used to point to the Cookie Saver service.
- Check how to add NS records with your DNS provider (this varies from DNS provider to another).
- Add the Preload script to your website
- Add the Tag Manager script to your website
- Configure the Tag Manager script (select which cookies you wish to save)
In this second part, you have to deploy two Cookie Saver scripts. The Tag Manager script enables us to run our service on your website, whereas the Preload script ensures that your cookies are restored correctly. Please deploy the Preload scripts first.
Instructions on how to deploy the Preload script can be found in this scripts deployment guide.
Instructions on how to deploy the Tag Manager script depends on the Tag Manager you are using:
- Google Tag Manager. To ease the deployment with GTM, use our template. Otherwise you can follow a more manual deployment here.
- Adobe Launch
- Source code (no tag manager)
Please note, the Tag Manager also needs to be configured. The configuration consists of indicating the subdomains to point to our service (initialization), indicating which cookies to save and starting the service.
If you only need a very basic configuration, you can refer to this basic example deployment covering Facebook and Google Analytics cookies.
To speed up the process, you can do the following upfront:
- Identify which cookies are affected. As part of the configuration, you will be asked to indicate which cookies you wish to save. You probably want to start from the ones that have been affected by ITP.
- Read about platform-specific cookies. Once you chose which cookies to save, you can read about how to add specific cookies to your configuration. We covered the most popular ones.
At this point, Cookie Saver should be up and running. However, it is good practice to assess that everything is working correctly.
- Check the proper functioning of Cookie Saver
- Evaluate the setup in view of GDPR (update cookie consent solution)
As final step, you can check that everything is working correctly and implemented lawfully.
Instructions on how to carry out these checks are found in our Validation section.
- Sing up / create an account
- Add NS records to your DNS provider
- Add the Preload script
- Add the Tag Manager script
- Configure the Tag Manager script
- Check the proper functioning of the setup
- Evaluate the setup up in view of GDPR
Congratulations! The Cookie Saver service is now working to keep your cookies intact from the unintended impact of Safari´s ITP.
At Cookie Saver we put great effort in ensuring the integrity of your cookie-based data. If we successfully delivered value to you, we would be delighted to collaborate in a partnership.
If you are looking into something more specific, you can dig into the different sections:
Installation. This section gathers articles about how to install Cookie Saver. This includes setup creation and the deployment of the Cookie Saver script.
Configuration. This section gathers advance guides about how to configure the Tag Manager script. This includes initialization and managing cookies. You will also find guides about how to add platform-specific cookies. E.g. Google Analytics cookies, Facebook cookies, Google Ads cookies, etc.
Validation. This section gathers a series of articles explaining how to assess your setup from a technical and lawful point of view.
Additional resources. This section gathers advanced guides and supplementary material about Google Tag Manager.
Resellers. This section is dedicated to our partners or who wishes to become one. It gathers information about partnership programs and reseller-specific guides.
If you have some doubts about how to use Cookie Saver, visit this Using Cookie Saver subsection.